Stop Cancer at the Door!
Firefighters experience consistent exposure to environments that contain chemicals, carcinogens, diseases, and toxins. Due to this, firefighters are more susceptible to contracting certain illnesses and cancers than the general population.
Decontamination of turnout gear and equipment is vital for protecting the health of our firefighters and reducing unnecessary exposure to dangerous substances. As a result, turnout gear decontamination should be so prevalent that it becomes second nature.
By adopting best practices and following procedures and guidelines for decontamination, departments can better ensure the safety and health of their firefighters.
- Globe-MSA: 7 Steps to Clean Firefighting Turnout Gear Poster
- Illinois Fire Safety Initiative DeCon Videos
- LION: Onsite Decon Poster
- Pasco County Fire Rescue Hot-Warm-Cold Station Design Presentation Slide Deck
- SOG: Post Fire Decontamination for Firefighting Personnel (St Petersburg Fire Rescue)_Pol307
- SOG: Decon of PPE Fire or Low Level Hazard Situations (Redmond FD)